Graduate Application Procedure
At the University of Kansas, a single application form covers admission and department financial aid. The items listed below must all be received before the department can make an evaluation and admit a new student to the program. Those who wish to enter in the fall semester and to be considered for a fellowship or teaching assistantship must submit all materials by January 15. Applications for the spring semester are due November 1. Apply now, or learn more about graduate study at the University of Kansas.
The following items must be received to complete the application file:
Items 1 through 6 can be submitted on-line.
- A completed Graduate Application Form.
- A current resume/CV
- A Statement of Interest and Goals. This is included in the on-line application form. The Graduate Studies Committee places considerable importance on the thoughtfulness of your remarks – in particular, we are interested in learning about (1) your specific interests within geography or atmospheric science and why they are important and interesting to you, (2) what you envision as your educational and career objectives and how a degree from KU Geography & Atmospheric Science helps to meet those objectives, and (3) which of our faculty members you think would be an appropriate graduate advisor and mentor.
- A scanned copy of an official transcript can be uploaded at the time of application. Official, degree conferred transcripts will be required prior to the second semester of study. NOTE: Documents uploaded with your application are not considered official. KU does not consider transcripts that come from applicants or that have been in the applicant's possession as official.
- Three confidential letters of recommendation sent by referees who are familiar with your academic and/or professional activities and who can address your likelihood of success in graduate school. If possible, we prefer letters from professors, but applicants returning to school after a lengthy absence may substitute letters from supervisors. Note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to request and to confirm that the required letters have been sent by the deadline. When using the on-line reference form to list references, you must include valid e-mail addresses. Once you have completed and submitted your application, your references will be contacted directly via email with directions for submitting their letters of recommendation.
- Proof of English Proficiency: Please visit here for more information
**Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are not required for the application. Applicants may choose to submit GRE scores if they feel it will help inform the department of their academic abilities. However, choosing not to submit scores will not affect your chances of admission.**
NON-DEGREE SEEKING STUDENTS
Any applicant seeking to be admitted as a non-degree seeking student must apply here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants must include the materials below in their application.
- Copy of official transcripts including proof of a bachelor's degree.
- Proof of English proficiency: Please visit here for more information
- Statement of purpose and interests.
For any questions, comments, or concerns about the admissions process, please contact our Graduate Academic Advisor, Cicily Corder at firstname.lastname@example.org.