Graduate Application Procedure
At the University of Kansas, a single application form covers admission and department financial aid. The items listed below must all be received before the department can make an evaluation and admit a new student to the program. Those who wish to enter in the fall semester and to be considered for a fellowship or teaching assistantship must submit all materials by January 15. Applications for admission only should be submitted no later than June 1 for the fall term (international student deadline May 1), November 1 for the spring term (international student deadline October 1), or April 1 for the summer session (international student deadline February 15). Apply now, or learn more about graduate study at the University of Kansas.
Contact Dr. David Mechem, the Department of Geography and Atmospheric Science graduate advisor, with any questions.
The following items must be received to complete the application file:
Items 1 through 5 can be submitted on-line.
- A completed Graduate Application Form.
- The required application fee.
- A Statement of Interest and Goals. This is included in the on-line application form. The Graduate Studies Committee places considerable importance on the thoughtfulness of your remarks – in particular, we are interested in learning about (1) your specific interests within geography and why they are important and interesting to you, (2) what you envision as your educational and career objectives and how a degree from KU Geography helps to meet those objectives, and (3) which of our faculty members you think would be an appropriate graduate advisor and mentor.
- A scanned copy of an official transcript can be uploaded at the time of application. Official, degree conferred transcripts will be required prior to the second semester of study. NOTE: Documents uploaded with your application are not considered official. KU does not consider transcripts that come from applicants or that have been in the applicant's possession as official.
- Three confidential letters of recommendation sent by referees who are familiar with your academic and/or professional activities and who can address your likelihood of success in graduate school. If possible, we prefer letters from professors, but applicants returning to school after a lengthy absence may substitute letters from supervisors. Note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to request and to confirm that the required letters have been sent by the deadline. When using the on-line reference form to list references, you must include valid e-mail addresses. Once you have completed and submitted your application, your references will be contacted directly via email with directions for submitting their letters of recommendation.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. All students applying for admission must submit official GRE scores. For information regarding test centers and dates for examinations, visit the website of the Educational Testing Service or the Information Bulletin for the GRE Program available at any university's counseling office. You also may write the Educational Testing Service at P.O. Box 6000, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6000.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination or other evidence of English proficiency.
- In addition, the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and a telephone or personal interview are required before a non-native English speaker can be offered a teaching assistantship. The minimum acceptable score on the TSE is 50.
NON-DEGREE SEEKING STUDENTS
Non-degree seeking students (NDS) are admitted on a rolling basis and must submit an application at graduate.ku.edu. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants must include the materials below in their application.
- Copy of official transcripts including proof of a bachelor's degree.
- Proof of English proficiency, if it is a second language.
- Statement of purpose and interests.
View full details about applying with non-degree seeking student status, or contact our Graduate Academic Advisor, Cicily Riggs at email@example.com.